Long Island, New York City and The Tri-State Area
Can I Modify My Child Custody Arrangement?

Can I Modify My Child Custody Arrangement?

Child custody arrangements are not permanent. Circumstances change, and it is not uncommon for one or both parents to ask for child custody changes at one time or another. It is important to remember that the existing order remains in place until a change is ordered by a judge. At Jonathan E. Kroll & Associates, PLLC, we have been helping families with child custody modifications since 1994. We understand how important child custody is to a parent, and that is why it is important to choose a lawyer with the resources, knowledge, and experience to give you the best chance of a successful outcome. With our skilled Long Island divorce attorney, you can rest assured that your case is in good hands. We offer a free case evaluation to prospective clients.

There can be a number of reasons to modify child custody. A change in the child's relationship with the residential parent (or that parent's boyfriend, girlfriend, or new spouse) could make a change in living arrangements desirable. Sometimes as children grow older, they grow apart from the residential parent and want to live with the other parent, or just want to give the other parent a turn.

Some of the most common reasons for custody modification are:

  • The residential parent has a drug or alcohol abuse problem.
  • The residential parent is neglecting the child.
  • The residential parent can no longer financially afford to support the child.
  • The residential parent abuses the child, mentally, physically, or sexually.
  • A boyfriend, girlfriend, or family member of the residential parent abuses the child.

Either parent can petition the court for a custody change, but the burden will be on the petitioning parent to prove that there has been a change in circumstances significant enough to warrant a modification. If domestic violence is occurring in either household, that will have a bearing on how custody is decided.

Contact us for knowledgeable and caring representation in your child custody matter.


We Can Help You Navigate This Difficult Situation

Get Started and Learn About Your Options
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.