Long Island, New York City and The Tri-State Area
Changing Your Name After a Divorce in New York

Changing Your Name After a Divorce in New York

Navigating a divorce can seem like a hassle because of the many nuances involved. You'll have to decide on asset and debt divisions, property management, and possibly even child support. Another concern you may have is reverting the wife's name to her maiden name. This process can seem needlessly complicated to most, but with a professional divorce attorney by your side, it can be a smooth process. If you need to revert to your maiden name after a divorce in New York, you shouldn't hesitate to retain our firm's experienced lawyer from Jonathan E. Kroll & Associates, PLLC.

I want to use my maiden name again. What do I need to do?

If you had a certified divorce lawyer help you from day one, this process should be close to painless. Most family law attorneys are willing to help you organize for every step of a divorce, including going back to your maiden name. If he or she did the job correctly, the divorce papers should have stated that you wish to use your maiden name after the divorce. If this wasn't done correctly, or if you filed the paperwork on your own and didn't know to include this statement, more steps will be necessary and you will want a professional divorce lawyer to help you now.

If your divorce papers are properly prepared, however, and your divorce is finalized, you may proceed by getting copies of the divorce decree. They must be certified by your county clerk's office, meaning they must be stamped accordingly. You'll also require certified copies of your birth certificate as well as government identification – a driver's license will do.

Once you have all certified copies, you will need to bring a set to the Social Security office to change your Social Security card. Clerks there will supply you with proper paperwork and instruction. A similar process will take place at the DMV, where you'll have to request a name change on your driver's license.

Once your new Social Security card and driver's license arrive, your name has officially been reverted to your maiden name. It should be noted, however, that you may still need to make name changes with certain organizations, such as utility or credit card companies.

Getting Help with the Name Change Process

Each step of a name change should be handled with a divorce attorney by your side. Just requesting certified copies of your birth certificate and divorce decree could take weeks if you aren't familiar with family law. Our experienced and friendly attorneys at Jonathan E. Kroll & Associates, PLLC can handle divorce cases from top to bottom, including name changes. If you live in New York, or filed for divorce there, do not hesitate to contact us. We are eager to assist you and get your life back on track.


We Can Help You Navigate This Difficult Situation

Get Started and Learn About Your Options
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.